WHAT WE DO
- Promote the Italian language and culture in our schools and communities.
- Advocate for the inclusion and maintenance of quality Italian language programs in our schools.
- Offer Italian teachers opportunities for professional growth, development and networking in order to maintain a standard of excellence in our profession.
- Encourage learning and reward achievement through student-centered activities, academic competitions, and scholarships.
- Collaborate with other Italian and Italian American organizations and consular agencies as well as area colleges and universities for the promotion of Italian language and culture.
- Serve as a clearinghouse for the diffusion of professional, linguistic and cultural information relevant to teaching Italian language and culture.
- Help our teachers meet professional development requirements by organizing workshops and events that deal with methodology, materials, the Italian AP program, technology, curriculum, and assessment.
- Encourage networking among our members.
The mission of ITANJ is to promote the teaching and learning of the Italian language and culture in New Jersey schools, grades K-12, through networking, professional development, scholarships and student–centered activities.
ITANJ is committed to New Jersey’s teachers of Italian. One of our principal goals is to help our teachers meet the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards and the 100-hour Professional Development Mandate by organizing workshops and professional development opportunities that cover methodology, materials, the Italian AP program, technology, curriculum, and assessment.
In addition, we encourage networking among our members facilitating the sharing of ideas and information, professional growth and strengthening the Italian language programs in our schools.